• ülser hastalığına neden olan şeyin stres değil de helicobacter pylori isimli bakteri olduğunu kanıtlayıp 2005 nobel tıp ödülünü alan kişi. asidik ortamda hiçbir bakterinin yaşayamayacağına inanan bilim adamları tarafından alay konusu olan marshall tezini ispatlamak için bakteri özütünü kendi yutmuş ve tezini kanıtlamış.
  • yazıldığı gibi h. pylori içmiştir. içmeden önce midesine baktırıp içtikten sonra bir daha baktırınca gastrit olduğu ortaya çıkmıştır. ilaç sektörüne darbe vurmuş gibi.

adamın hammaddesi bir dahiliye uzmanı.

kendi sözleri:

we had been trying to infect animals to see if they would develop ulcers. ıt all failed; we could not infect pigs or mice or rats. until we could do these experiments, we would be open to criticism. so ı had a plan to do the experiments in humans. ıt was desperate: ı saw people who were almost dying from bleeding ulcers, and ı knew all they needed was some antibiotics, but they weren’t my patients. so a patient would sit there bleeding away, taking the acid blockers, and the next morning the bed would be empty. ı would ask, “where did he go?” he’s in the surgical ward; he’s had his stomach removed.

what led up to your most famous and most dangerous experiment, testing your theory on yourself?
    ı had a patient with gastritis. ı got the bacteria and cultured them, then worked out which antibiotics could kill his infection in the lab—in this case, bismuth plus metronidazole. ı treated the patient and did an endoscopy to make sure his infection was gone. after that ı swizzled the organisms around in a cloudy broth and drank it the next morning. my stomach gurgled, and after five days ı started waking up in the morning saying, “oh, ı don’t feel good,” and ı’d run in the bathroom and vomit. once ı got it off my stomach, ı would be good enough to go to work, although ı was feeling tired and not sleeping so well. after 10 days ı had an endoscopy that showed the bacteria were everywhere. there was all this inflammation, and gastritis had developed. that’s when ı told my wife.

how did she react?
    ı should have recorded it, but the meaning was that ı had to stop the experiment and take some antibiotics. she was paranoid that she would catch it and the kids would catch it and chaos—we’d all have ulcers and cancer. so ı said, “just give me till the weekend,” and she said, “fair enough.”
  • ülsere yaklaşımının bilimsel ve çılgın olduğu kesin olan bilim insanı. saygımı toplamasının nedeni kimseye yaptıramayacağı bir şeyi kendi bedenini kullanarak çözmesidir.

yine aynı yere geliyoruz;

yahut kocaman gözlüklerin beyaz gömleğinle
    bir laboratuvarda
    insanlar için ölebileceksin
    hem de yüzünü bile görmediğin insanlar için
    hem de hiç kimse seni buna zorlamamışken
    hem de en güzel en gerçek şeyin yaşamak olduğunu
    bildiğin halde.

nazım hikmet ran
  • 21. yy'da yaşadığımız için ne kadar şanslıyız. insanlığın bin yıllardır çektiği bir sorunu çözdü. bu bilim insanı ülserin tedavisini buldu, acı çekmeden yemek yemeyi mümkün kıldı.
hesabın var mı? giriş yap