• şarkılarının toplamında, albümlere yayılmış bir hikaye yatan grup.*

i would go out tonight. so i meet you at the cemetery gates. just meet me in the alley by the railway station. park the car at the side of the road. all the streets are crammed with things. we can go for a walk where it’s quiet and dry. take my hand and off we stride. nothing, no one, nothing around for miles. we can go wherever we please. under the iron bridge we kissed. the dark nights are drawing in. and i'm tired of walking these streets. take me out tonight. see those alluring lights? how do you start, where do you go, who do you need to know? there’s a club if you’d like to go? hang around? i know a place where we can go. i like it here. i don’t know where else i can go. i never had no one ever. oh, so i drank one, it became four and when i fell on the floor i drank more. i was happy in the haze of a drunken hour. so, drink, drink, drink and be ill tonight. so, tell me how long before the last one? i want to leave. because the music they constantly play. the songs that made you smile and the songs that made you cry. and neither one particularly appeals to me. now, today, tomorrow, and always. and the air hangs heavy like a dulling wine. i wanna go home, i don't wanna stay. i'm tired and i want to go to bed. and i missed my bed. fifteen minutes with you, well i wouldn’t say no. i know what will make you smile tonight. i love you for you, my love. please, please, please let me get what i want. give in to lust, give up to lust, oh heaven knows we'll soon be dust. let your juvenile impulses sway. and when darkness lifts and the room is bright i'll still be by your side. her skirt ascends for a watching eye. and don't go home tonight. a heartless hand on my shoulder. it's all gone wrong. you could have said no if you'd wanted to. sweetness, sweetness. i never make that mistake again. was it worth the tears you cried? this night has opened my eyes. message received loud and clear. you're going and you know where you belong. you left. and it's all over, yes, it's all over. i know, it's serious. oh, who and what to blame? please keep me in mind. and you never knew how much i really liked you. to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy. i have just discovered: she doesn't care about anything. those things you said. how little you know. so, what difference does it make? but did i ever tell you, by the way, i never did like your face. so, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

--- spoiler ---

i would go out tonight.* so i meet you at the cemetery gates.* just meet me in the alley by the railway station.* park the car at the side of the road.* all the streets are crammed with things.* we can go for a walk where it’s quiet and dry.* take my hand and off we stride.* nothing, no one, nothing around for miles.* we can go wherever we please.* under the iron bridge we kissed.* the dark nights are drawing in.* and i'm tired of walking these streets.* take me out tonight.* see those alluring lights?* how do you start, where do you go, who do you need to know?* there’s a club if you’d like to go?* hang around?* i know a place where we can go.* i like it here.* i don't know where else i can go.* i never had no one ever.* oh, so i drank one, it became four and when i fell on the floor i drank more.* i was happy in the haze of a drunken hour.* so, drink, drink, drink and be ill tonight.* so, tell me how long before the last one?* i want to leave.* because the music they constantly play.* the songs that made you smile and the songs that made you cry.* and neither one particularly appeals to me.* now, today, tomorrow, and always.* and the air hangs heavy like a dulling wine.* i wanna go home, i don't wanna stay.* i'm tired and i want to go to bed.* and i missed my bed.* fifteen minutes with you, well i wouldn’t say no.* i know what will make you smile tonight.* i love you for you, my love.* please, please, please let me get what i want.* give in to lust, give up to lust, oh heaven knows we'll soon be dust.* let your juvenile impulses sway.* and when darkness lifts and the room is bright i'll still be by your side.* her skirt ascends for a watching eye.* and don't go home tonight.* a heartless hand on my shoulder.* it's all gone wrong.* you could have said no if you'd wanted to.* sweetness, sweetness.* i never make that mistake again.* was it worth the tears you cried?* this night has opened my eyes.* message received loud and clear.* you're going and you know where you belong.* you left.* and it's all over, yes, it's all over.* i know, it's serious.* oh, who and what to blame?* please keep me in mind.* and you never knew how much i really liked you.* to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy.* i have just discovered:* she doesn't care about anything.* those things you said.* how little you know.* so, what difference does it make?* but did i ever tell you, by the way, i never did like your face.* so, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.*

--- spoiler ---
  • 1987 yilinda denver, colorado'da bir hayran radyo istasyonunu basip, "the smiths'ten baska bir sey calmayacaksiniz ulan!" demis, silah zoruyla, polis olaya mudahale edene kadar, dort saat butun albumleri tek tek caldirtmistir.
    demem o ki muzik tarihinin en kendine has grubu oldugu gibi, en kendine has hayran kitlesine sahip grubudur da.
  • müzik değil ki bunların yaptığı. muhabbet. hoşsohbet. arkadaşlık. öyle birşey.
  • "i would rather eat my own testicles than reform the smiths. and that's saying something for a vegetarian."

- s. p. morrissey -
  • aklımda kaldığına göre kuruldukları dönemde ingilterede bütün gruplar birbirinden ilginç isimler bulmak için uğraşırken bu abilerimiz de onlara tepki olarak ingilteredeki en yaygın soy ismi olan smiths'i almışlar.

ingilizce bildiğime şükürler ettiren grup. bu adamların şarkı sözlerindeki yalınlığı, vuruculuğu, doğrudanlığı anlayabilmek bana son zamanlarda en çok zevk ( ve zarar ) veren şey.

ingilizce sehl-i mümteni yapıyorlar resmen. bu kadar sade ama yoğun olamaz. " i m human and i need to be loved, just like everybody else does " ne demek ya. böyle bir şey ne geldi ne de gelecek. bu kadar sade ve net, kendi kafasında bir grup zor bulunur.

smiths'i çok az kişi dinler ama dinleyenlerin neredeyse çoğunun favori grubudur, ayrı bir yeri vardır. adamdan kaçamıyorsun ki abi. şarkısını dinleyince hayatındaki en özel anların içine tekrar tekrar atıyor seni.

bir " this night has opened my eyes" derken sevgilinin elinden kayıp gittiği o geceyi hatırlamadan, " i know it's over " dinlerken yattığın o yatağın soğukluğunu, yalnızlığını hissetmeden durabilir misin ki ?
  • ne$eliymi$ gibi gorunen $arkilar yapma ustasi grup.hatta olayin dozajini kacirmi$ grup.
  • hayatimda gordugum en uzun $arki isimlerine sahip grup.
  • şurada gençlerin uzak durması gereken 10 adet the smiths şarkısını listelemişler, dev bir hizmet:

http://flavorwire.com/…s-that-will-mess-you-up-most

bilhassa cemetry gates yorumları pek bir şahane:

"and finally, let’s examine a song whose narrator’s hobbies include visiting cemeteries and reading oscar wilde. this person is undatable. become this person, die alone."
  • obsesyon yapar, gencligini harcar. ama vazgecilmezdir.
    cunku smiths tespittir, acıdır ama gerçektir, yalindir, sefildir (sumugunu akitmadan), harbidir, evrenseldir:
    each household appliance is like a new science in my town.
  • ayri bir ya$am bicimi....
hesabın var mı? giriş yap