• 2003 tarihli the libertines şarkısı. 2000 yılı 1 mayısında londra'da yaşanan polis saldırısını anlatır, fena halde 31 mayıs 2013 taksim gezi parkı polis saldırısı'nı anımsatır.

wikipedia'nın dediğine göre pete doherty bir fan forumunda şarkıda geçen "wombles bleed truncheons and shields" hikayesini şöyle anlatmış:

"the 'wombles' were a revolutionary sect from the era of the mayday riots in the year 2000. they were rioters who all dressed up like wombles from the t.v series, including tinfoil shields and wobbly truncheons, mimicking the riot police. there were about 12 of them, but they had many enthusiastic disciples.

that year the police managed to keep most people paralysed by rounding them up and forcing them to camp in oxford circus. the wombles led a breakaway group through the backstreets of soho, eventually, after a peaceful march, the police rounded us off at shaftesbury avenue and beat the shit out of us. i remember the front cover of the daily record the next day (a scottish newspaper): carnage and brackets upped.

i remember also after that first clash with the wombles running up new oxford street, they were stripping off their disguises as they legged it for dear life, blending into the crowd as uncle bavaria's head rolled into the gutter. a very odd site for me, and was i , taliban scarf flapping in the wind, the whole city distorted by liquid lsd dropped in my mouth by a now 'naked' womble.
    then began the famous 'battle of roseberry avenue', wherein our attempts to reach the city's financial district were scupperred by a well up for it troop of crack riot police who splatterred our rapidly thinning- out group of tripping ne'er do wells all over clerkenwell. " *

sözleri tam olarak şöyledir:

"
    did you see the stylish kids in the riot
    we were shovelled up like muck
    set the night on fire
    wombles bleed truncheons and shields
    you know i cherish you my love

but there's a rumour spread nasty diseases around town
    caught round the houses with your trousers down
    a headrush in the bush
    how i cherish you my love

what can you want now you've got it all
    the whole scene is obscene
    time will strip it away
    a year and a day
    and bill bones
    bill bones he knows what i mean

yes it's eating no it's chewing me up
    it's not right for young lungs to be coughing up blood
    oh it's all
    it's all in my hands
    and it's all up the walls

well the stale chips are up and the hopes stakes are down
    it's these ignorant faces that bring this town down
    yeah i sighed and sunken with pride
    i passed myself down on my knees
    yes i passed myself down on my knees

what can you want now you've got it all
    the whole scene is obscene
    time will strip it away
    a year and a day
    and bill bones
    bill bones knows what i really mean

there are fewer more distressing sights than that
    of an englishman in a baseball cap
    and we'll die in the class we were born
    well that's a class of our own my love
    a class of our own my love

did you see the stylish kids in the riot
    we were shovelled up like muck
    then set the night on fire
    wombles bleed truncheons and shields
    oh how i cherish you my love.
    "
  • pete doherty bir başka röportajda, şarkının yazıldığı koşulları şu şekilde açıklamış:

"so how do you think radical change can come about and what kind of change do you think we need?"

you have to replace capitalism because that’s the only thing it understands. it’s like a disease or a fungus. you can’t tidy up the flower bed and restrain it a bit – you’ve got to dig it out from the roots and replace it, otherwise it will keep growing. that’s the nature of capitalism.

as far fetched as it seems, it can happen the way it’s always happened in history, and that’s through a radical turnaround.

who really would have thought in russia in 1917 that that would happen? they were coffee shop philosophers who ended up in charge of the most incredible revolution human history has seen.

it’s just when people really have had enough. and that’s what the song “time for heroes” is about. i wrote it after the may day riots in 2002 when ı was just glad to be coming home after what happened.

"how did you end up on the may day demonstrations and what did you think about them?"

partly it was because where i had been hanging round in east london there had been talk of riots, people going to try and get involved in that. i just wanted to see it.

there were running battles with the police and i was part of that. i ended up with a scarf wrapped round my head and i did get hit. i think the policeman thought i was taking the piss – i was doing my hair by looking in his riot shield and he clumped me round the side of the head.

when the demonstrations really kicked off i remember feeling that they were the most important days of my life. i felt like i’d never felt before, about london and about people in london – contrasting the absolute belief, the absolute willingness to fight, protest and make a change, to absolute stagnant apathy.

it was like using parts of your brain that had never been used or seeing things that you’d never seen before.

it was a huge awakening. i remember waking up the day afterwards with a renewed sense of purpose, and i really wanted to sing about it and go and do it again. it makes you aware that things can happen. all you need is the numbers and the belief.
hesabın var mı? giriş yap